Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's All About the Points

When I went to Toronto earlier this year, I stayed downtown in a four star Hilton for free. Yep, you heard me, free. How did I get my hotel room for free you ask. I used a little thing I like to call points.

When I first got to college, my parents decided that I needed a credit card. My parents look all over for the best card for me. What they found was a credit card from CitiBank. What is great about my credit card is that every time I purchase something, I receive Thankyou points for the purchase.
Citi ThankYou Points Network

Whats even better is that for all the times that I go to the bar and restaurants, I receive double the points. So over my four years of college, in which I purchased all of my text books on my card, plus all of my late night runs to McDonald's and Papa Johns, I was adding up the points that I could use on anything that I wanted.

While I could use my points on gift cards to Best Buy and Sunglass Hut, along with a lot of other places, I chose to use my points on a vacation. By the time I was ready to book my trip to Toronto, I had over 130,000 points. These points were all mine and I could choose where I wanted to use them. When I went to the website to book my trip, two nights at the Hilton in downtown Toronto was 80,000 points. Which means I had 50,000 points left over to use on another trip or a purchase that I really wanted to make.

Getting a credit card that gives you points back in exchange for all of your purchases is great because the accumulation of all of your points opens you up to a whole new world. If you save enough points up, you can stay in that one hotel you have always wanted to stay in for free. I got to stay in a Ritz Carlton for free because my mom had a bunch of points saved up.

College students are going to spend money on food, books, clothes and alcohol at bars. Well, why not receive something in return for all that you spend. Invest in a credit card that gives you points back and you will not be sorry. One day, you may be laying by the pool at a five star hotel in Miami for free, all because you purchased some textbooks for class.

When you are on a road trip, how do you save money when it comes to eating? Have you developed any tips to saving money while eating out?


2 comments:

  1. I try to find restaurants that are on the cheaper side of things. When we are traveling we eat fast food and use the dollar menu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my family travels, we try to eat two large meals out. That way we are saving money by not eating three meals out. We will buy snacks before we leave and eat those snacks between meals.

    ReplyDelete